2. Why focus on increased efficiency in health?
3. Defining efficiency in health systems
4. Value for money and the health sector
5. Efficiency and the health system building blocks
6. Focus: the leading causes of inefficiency in the health sector
7. Efficiency and the budget cycle
This report provides a practical approach to designing policy interventions for increased health system efficiency and answering important questions on the efficiency and effectiveness of health expenditure in Africa, specifically: Are health expenditures efficient, and what are the drivers of inefficiencies? How can ministries of finance play a central role in ensuring Value for Money? Are line agencies using resources in the most efficient and effective manner (technical efficiency)?