Building PFM Capabilities programme
Location: Centurion (Pretoria), South Africa
Contract: 3 years (renewable)
The Collaborative Africa Budget Reform Initiative (CABRI) is an intergovernmental organisation of Ministries of Finance and Budget from across Africa, which provides a unique platform for peer exchange and learning amongst senior public finance managers. CABRI vision is that public financial resources in Africa are managed with integrity, transparency and accountability for efficient and effective service delivery, sustainable economic growth and development. CABRI supports its vision by strengthening the capabilities of senior government officials for the implementation of reforms that achieve functional PFM systems.
CABRI would like to recruit a PFM specialist to support its work under the Building PFM Capabilities programme. The programme is underpinned by the Problem Driven Iterative Adaption (PDIA) approach and aims to build the capability of a set of finance officials as they learn how to address and solve locally-nominated problems, in teams through action-oriented work. The PFM specialist will lead the research efforts related to the understanding the process of the building of PFM capabilities in Africa while engaging in the action-learning part of the programme.
2. Duties of the PFM specialist
The PFM specialist will coordinate the research outputs for the Building PFM Capabilities programme and work closely with the Manager for this Programme. The PFM specialist will be expected to undertake the following activities:
- Support the implementation of CABRI’s strategic plan pertaining to building the capabilities of senior finance and budget officials in Africa. The workplan includes country work, research, case studies, media production, workshops, capability building and other peer learning activities.
- Conduct outreach and network-building as well as engagement with external partners.
Research on assessing PFM capabilities in Africa
- Lead innovative research in designing an assessment method for PFM capabilities in Africa. Research outputs will support CABRI member countries in understanding the constraints on the improvement of their PFM capabilities.
- Develop concepts and terms of reference for specific components of the research and manage a dedicated budget.
- Organize workshops and exchanges on the method developed. Pilot the assessment in a country and roll out to further African countries.
Studies, writing, and Communication
- Conduct and/or coordinate data analysis and policy-orientated research. The research will focus on producing knowledge on specific aspects of institutions and capabilities related to public financial management in Africa.
- Contribute to and write reports, blog pieces and other documents disseminating CABRI’s work and communicating on our activities and results.
- Contribute to discussions at seminars and conferences linked to the programme activities.
3. Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
The PFM specialist is expected to have the following qualifications and experience:
- A graduate degree in economics, public policy, public finance or a related field.
- Relevant professional experience of at least 4 years, ideally in a developing world context. Experience in public financial management is a strong asset.
- Experience in conducting research and an interest in public sector institutions, public financial management and Africa.
- Analytical and Technical Skills - demonstrated use of statistical and research methods; ability to perform quantitative analysis using Excel and/or other databases.
- Record of problem solving and innovation to bring new and different insights.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of French is a strong plus.
- Ability to integrate ideas from diverse views, create partnerships, and collaborate with others.
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to translate technical content into plain language.
- Interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel, mostly in Africa.
Please submit your resume in English to Adil Ababou, Manager for the Building PFM Capabilities programme and Awa Touray, Officer for the Building PFM Capabilities programme at the following addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for the position close on 4 May 2018 and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.