1. Background: social and economic context
2. Decentralisation framework
3. Performance of basic education in Ghana
4. Institutional structure of education finance
5. Monitoring and evaluation
6. A summary of the main findings
7. Key questions for discussion
This case study on Ghana formed part of the CABRI dialogue on ensuring value for money in the education sector. It provides an overview of the effectiveness of decentralisation and institutional reforms in delivering basic education services, and evaluates it in terms of whether devolved agencies are using their resources in the most efficient and effective manner (technical efficiency) in implementing the recent wave of education reforms.